So Friday I rode the skytrain to the last stop and successfully told the taxi driver where i needed to go and had a very broken conversation with him. It gave me a little confidence in my language. So after I got to the bus station I successfully got my ticket and sat on the hot bus for an hour before we left. I asked several people to make sure i was on the right bus. A few stops down the road (we made no less than 25 stops) a Thai girl got on and sat beside me. It turns out that she is an English teacher at a middle school in BKK, but is from Mahasarakham. So in broken thai and broken english we had a pretty good conversation and she was able to tell me where we were and when I needed to get off the bus.
Saturday I was able to meet one of my favorite students from last summer for lunch. She took me to KFC, which wouldn't have been my first choice, but we enjoyed it anyway. Her English has improved and she tried to help me some with my Thai. After that I met the girls that have been there this semester with HandsOn, and we went to the other side of the city to meet Scott and his family to go to Khon Kaen for Thanksgiving with other m's in the region. We had turkey, dressing, brocoli salad, rolls... the works. It was good and it was fun to hang out with new people.
Sunday the HandsOn girls led English church. There were 4 Thais there, one of which I met last summer and have kept up with on facebook here and there. So it was good to see her again. That afternoon I hung out with Elliot (my supervisor's 9 year old son). We watched the new alice in wonderland (just as weird as i thought it would be). Then it was time for me to head out. I left sarakham around 6:30 and arrived in BKK around 2am. That meant not getting to my apartment until 2:30 and not being able to get to sleep until 3am. Then getting up at 6:30 to go to school. Not fun! but it was totally worth it! Can't wait to be there for a longer time :)
the food table after the damage had been done
my table of full and thankful people
No comments:
Post a Comment