Thursday, November 10, 2011

krobkrua kong sara yiam muangthay

Literally translated: Family of Sarah Beth visit Thailand.
My family was able to come visit me at the beginning of October. They landed late at night on October 1st. The next day we repacked into smaller bags, and headed to the beach. We went to Hua Hin, which is on the Gulf of Thailand. We were actually about 20 miles outside of Hua Hin. Basically in the middle of nowhere. It was nice to not be around so many tourists, but a little frustrating that there wasn't more to actually do. It's hard to battle jet lag when the only things to do are sit by the pool, swim, go to the beach, or watch tv in the room. We had fun, though. We spent three days there. One day we went on a local fisherman's boat out around some islands. One island is called Monkey Island. One day my dad and I rented a kayak. It was fun, but very tiring! I think we ended up coming back to shore before our rental time was up.
After the beach we rode in a van (3 hours) to return to BKK in order to get on a bus (6 hours) to come to my city (1 hour). We left the hotel at 8:30am and didn't get to my house until 9:00pm. It was a long day of traveling! While in my city I took them to all of my favorite restaurants. We ate Isaan food, Thai "restaurant" food, Thai street/market food, Vietnamese food, Japanese food, and even a little bit of American dessert. I showed them all the University campuses that I work at. They were able to meet one of my former students and close national friend, Pat. I drove them to Khon Kaen, which is the bigger city in my area. We went to see a movie and met 2 of my students who were going to see the same movie. They went to English church and Thai church with me. I enjoyed them being able to see more of my life here and meet some of the people I talk so much about.
I'll share some pictures with you.


All of us in a tuk tuk. A tuk tuk is a 3-wheeled vehicle that normally holds 2 americans comfortably. This day it held all 4 of us plus our bags from the beach.

My dad and I in the kayak.

This is a pic I took from one of the islands. I just thought it was pretty.

My brother decided this island looks like a fat man lying down. It's not really at a good angle, but it really does!

monkey island

I unfortunately didn't get any pictures when they were in my city. They took all the pictures with their camera and have yet to send me any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment