I left Monday morning coming up to Richmond for training. I got through the airport fine. The first flight I decided to just listen to some music and try to read a little bit in Psalms. I went back to Psalm 121 because that chapter is one that my family holds very dear. "The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever." What an awesome promise. To know that no matter if I'm in Kentucky with family, in Dahlonega at shcool, in Richmond at training, in China with wonderful friends, or in the land of smiles teaching English, God is watching over me and that is all that matters.
After getting to the Richmond airport I met several j-men that I hadn't met at the interview conference and it was good getting to know them a little bit on our way to the farm. I dropped all my stuff off in my quad and met a family who is living in the quad with me before going out to meet some of the girls I met in February at their quad. *I'll go ahead now and explain a quad. There are 4-5 apartments in each quad all connected to one large common room/living area. Each apartment has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a kitchen, and laundry facilities.* A little later another friend from February got to campus and it turns out that we are in the same apartment. That is definitely a praise because we have talked a lot and gotten to know each other pretty well over the past few months after interview conference. Tuesday was a free day to kind of get settled in because people were still flying and driving in. It was good to get to know more people and just hang out before the training actually began.
Wednesday morning began our official training. We had 3 sessions in the morning from 9-12. Then we had another 3 sessions in the afternoon from 1-4. It was a whole lot of information, and the afternoon sessions were all about insurance, medical, and computer stuff (which all goes waayyyy over my head). Then Wednesday night our small group met, which is going to be like our church for the time that we are here. There are 10 adults in our small group and 2 TCK's (Third Culture Kids - previously known as MK's). Of the 12 people in our small group only 2 are not from our quad. We are all going to different countries located in SE Asia.
Thursday was another day full of meetings from 8-12 and 1-3. The sessions were all full of information and I'm afraid I've only stored about 20% of what has been said. Hopefully there won't be a pop quiz this weekend. That night we had our first affinity group meeting for southeast asia. We have 21 adults going to our region. We had some ice cream and cookies and then learned a little bit about Southeast Asia.
This morning (Friday) I skipped breakfast and slept in until 8 because our sessions didn't start until 9. The sessions were good this morning and not completely overwhelming. From 11-2 we had a personal retreat, where we were to go somewhere on campus to be with the Father. I started out the time outside under a tree, but after about an hour and a half the ants were driving me crazy (PTL they weren't fire ants). I came into my quad and spent the rest of the time in my bedroom. I read the book of James twice and "faith without works is dead" is what God really brought to my mind. At one point James says, "show me your faith without works, and I'll show you my faith by my works." I just wonder if people can see my faith because of the way I live and because of the "works" in my life.
So that's been my time so far. Thanks for the prayers. This weekend doesn't look too stressful so hopefully I will get to rest and just spend time with those around me and be encouraged.
"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry... But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it." ~ James 1:19, 22-25
I'm following your blog!!! I am so excited that I can keep up with you and see what all is going on through your blog. I am praying for you and am so excited about this journey you are taking! love you!
ReplyDelete