Thursday, October 14, 2010

getting settled

Well, I've been here for almost 4 days. Jet lag is still hangin around, so I figured blogging was a good way to stay awake this afternoon. I got here late Sunday night/early Monday morning, and was taken to Soi 2 where the mission compound is. I was able to sleep well that night and woke up the next morning to a free day. I decided to walk around the area to reacquaint myself with the city. I probably ended up walking about 2 miles before I stopped at a 7-11 for a fountain coke w/ good ice :) Then I turned around and went back toward soi 2. It wasn't unbearably hot that day; so I decided to stop at the top of the soi at Ploen Chit center to sit at Starbucks to read and listen to some music. It was a good time spent with the Father. I went back to the compound in time to get ready to go to dinner at a family's house. We had homemade mexican food that was really good. Then I fought jet lag to stay awake until 9 that night. The next day I woke up at 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep... some of you know because I texted you or talked to you online. I finally decided to get out of bed around 7:30 and was able to talk to several friends on skype. Then I got some lunch on the street before going to MBK and Siam center with David to get my phone ready to use and for him to run some errands. That was good to keep me awake through the afternoon. Then I struggled through staying awake until about 9:15. That night I was able to sleep until 7:30. It was amazing! Yesterday was moving day! I moved into my apartment around 9:30 yesterday morning, and then David took me around to get my bearings. Then I was able to come and unpack all my things. I've decided that unpacking is just as bad as packing - hate it! But I was able to do that over several hours and taking many breaks. Then I met a couple who is also here doing language study. They took me to Paragon (a big mall) for dinner and we looked around the mall for a little bit. It was nice to be shown around. Last night I broke my record and stayed up until 10:30! Unfortunately I woke up at 4 am again and didnt' get back to sleep until almost 5:30, but then was able to sleep until 9:30 when my alarm went off. Today I met with my language coach/mentor. She took me to meet my language tutor. I will begin studying with him tomorrow morning at 10! Then we went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant (m's must really like mexican food!). After we ate, she took me to the school where I'll be studying. I will start official language school on Oct 22! Depending on funds and other things I will go thru 2 or 3 modules of language. I will either be done before Christmas or at the end of January. It was good to find out a little more of what is expected of me during this time. Well, I'm sure that was more detail than most of you wanted to read, but I didn't force you to read it :) I'll add some pics for you!


part of my apartment


view waiting for the skytrain


Ploen Chit Center

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my favorite SB journaling time EVER..."Today, I went to bed." ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahaha! i completely forgot about that!! amazing! i should definitely blog that one day...

    ReplyDelete