Wednesday, October 20, 2010

may pen ray

may pen ray means, "it's okay", "no worries", "don't worry about it", or "nevermind".
This past week has kinda been a no worries type week. I haven't had much to do other than language study with a tutor from 10-11:30. In language I've mainly been learning basic sounds. Especially some of the tones! In case you didn't know... Thai has 5 tones: mid, high, low, rising, and falling. I generally haven't had trouble repeating what my tutor says, but reproducing it on my own is very difficult! My first day of language school is Friday. I actually met my teacher last night. She seems really fun. I can tell that she's really going to challenge me though.
I have done some exploring around the city. I've been to more malls in the past few days than I've ever been to in America. And these aren't just any strip mall... these malls are ridiculously huge! These malls have Prada, Gucci, Lambourgini, BMW, and other insanely expensive stores in them. One of the malls closest to my apartment just opened a Krispy Kreme (the only one in thailand). The line to just get into the mall.. not to the checkout.. is about a 3-4 hour wait. So people are standing in line for up to 6 hours for doughnuts that most of them don't even like!! I don't understand! haha
Not too much else of consequence has happened. I have finally found my way around to get good food. Street food isn't exactly to be trusted lightly in BKK, but I've found a street vendor with good Phad Thai and I've also found several food courts (in malls) that aren't too expensive. I also was able to meet two other m's yesterday that are around my age. One of them is named Sarah Beth, and the other is Lindsey. They both do ministry with the deaf. It sounds like they have a really good ministry going on. They live on the complete opposite side of the city so unfortunately I won't be able to hang out with them too often. But it's good for me to have some Americans my age around for peer support.

2 comments:

  1. yay for good food and friends with the same name! and crazy languages with weird sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apa apa :) that's your title in my language!

    ReplyDelete