David Platt is by far one of the most dynamic speakers and writers of this generation (in my humble opinion). I enjoy listening to his podcasts on iTunes. I try to listen once a week. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but I took the time to do that tonight and was so blessed, challenged, and filled by it! He was speaking out of Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament and the last words spoken by God for hundreds of years. Not only does David do a great job explaining what is going on in the text, he applies it to our lives as people today. So I just want to share with you some of the notes I took during the sermon.
The text teaches us that...
1) we are dead in our sin...
* we are prone to defile one another
* sin is too subtle in us. it happens little by little. I'm reminded of the song Slow Fade by Casting Crowns.
* sin is too seductive to us
* sin is too strong for US!
* we can't do anything on our own to overcome our deadness or our sinful lives.
2) Our God is...
* overwhelmingly gracious - the only reason we can stand is His incredible grace!
* inexpressibly holy! completely set apart and different than anything or anyone we can fathom. He deserves perfect spotless sacrifices (that we can't give).
* consistently faithful
* completely just. He will demonstrate His righteousness. He will demand our repentance (b/c He deserves it). He will display His wrath.
* ultimately sovereign. He remains constant. That is such an encouragement and comfort for me b/c as so much around me is changing and is different than anything I've ever experienced, I can count on God to be the same as He was in Sylvester, GA, Dahlonega, GA, Richmond, VA, and La Center, KY.
* unquestionably supreme! He is the Lord of Hosts, the Lord of Heaven's Armies. Wow :) I wish I could even imagine everything that name means.
* the ONLY Savior!!! He will preserve a remnant (people who will love and glorify Him). He promised to provide a redeemer. That promise was fulfilled with Jesus Christ.
At the end of Malachi it says that "I am sending you the prophet Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the LORD arrives. His preaching will turn the hearts of fathers to their children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise I will come and strike the land with a curse." Utter destruction or eternal salvation... the choice is ours.
You've inspired me to go listen to him again! Haven't in way too long :( I like the part about Him being the Lord of Hosts, the Lord of Heaven's Armies! Wow! I wish I could imagine all that means too! I wish I could remember that in the thick of the battle!
ReplyDelete