Sunday, September 5, 2010

roller coaster of a week...

This week was definitely a challenge. It began with intense training on how to deal with hostage situations. We had role plays and lecture and a few surprises during those two and a half days. That's really all I can say, but I survived and feel prepared. Because of that hard training, I was very drained after 5pm when we were released and didn't do much of anything. The rest of the week we learned about language and Church Planting Movements.
Friday we were able to have time set apart for us to have a personal spiritual retreat. It was a 3 hour block of time where we could read the word, talk to the Father, or anything else that would help us to refocus. I was able to read Philippians several times in a few different translations. Insights from Paul are always incredible. "For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live." ~ Phil 1:21-24 Can I say that it is better for me to live because of the people I meet and share the Good News with?
The down time this week has been good. Thursday I was able to talk with one of my friends who just got finished with her j-man term. Friday I was able to talk with another good friend for a while on the phone. Then I went with my quad-mates on a walk. It has been awesome to continue getting to know them and their hearts. Yesterday I was supposed to be in ESL class all day, but the teacher actually let us go early which was really exciting. My roommate and I went to read outside under a tree because it was an absolutely gorgeous day outside. A bird ended up pooping on our blanket and we kept hearing a strange sound. She thought it sounded like a zipper. I thought it sounded like an old creaky wood floor. Then we went to eat Thai food with our other quad-mates. It was good, but definitely not as good as the real thing. Then we went to REI. They were having a really good sale and I got some new chacos $20 off regular price. I was pretty excited. Then we went to Barnes and Noble and had fun looking around at books and using the free wi-fi.
I can't believe I only have 2 1/2 weeks left here. Please pray that I will learn as much as I can and I will make the most of every opportunity.

"Live wisely among those who are unbelievers and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversations be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone." ~ Colossians 4:5-6

1 comment:

  1. that's amazing that you're almost through with training...and to think you'll be heading out soon! I am absolutely thrilled for you and will be praying for you :)
    Eph. 1:15-23 Love you SB!
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete